Highly intelligent technologies penetrate deeper and deeper into our lives. Not so long ago, plumbing also joined the list of household appliances equipped with artificial intelligence. In this article, we will talk about such a miracle of scientific and technological progress “smart toilet”: about the Best smart toilets available, the principle of its operation, a set of functions, and operational and technical capabilities.
Kohler is one of the leading brands in the toilet industry, and some of their most popular models are the smart toilets, one of which has managed to top our list of the best smart toilet on the market. This smart toilet boasts of advanced technology with amazing aesthetics and built-in speakers, radio, and audio player.
This smart toilet comes with a lot of cool features including hands-free operation, touch screen control and a while back, a new update was introduced with some extra features like an inbuilt air dryer, a bidet, seat and leg warmers.
This model is also economically friendly as it consumes less water per flush to help save water. It is said to use just about 0.6 gallons of water per flush, which is very low as compared to normal toilets. This also makes the toilet water-efficient.
With a compact form, this one-piece toilet comes with a cleansing system that helps cleanse the toilet after use.
With its relatively big bowl, more space and comfort are provided for users. The heated seats also come with customizable temperature settings.
However, this model does not come with a tank to store water like most toilets, but it can be connected to the main water supply. The dual flush option also ensures that you can choose between 0.8 to 1.28 gallons of water per flush.
This is another great product from the famous TOTO company. This amazing smart toilet is designed in a way that perfectly blends economic friendliness with luxury. This model features a CeFiONtect glaze that helps keep the toilet clean by ensuring dirt and other stuff cannot accumulate on the surface. This ceramic beauty is also ADA Compliant, so people with walking and standing disabilities can use it with ease.
Its automated lid will open the seat slowly once a presence is sensed and closes it back as you are moving away from the toilet. This smart toilet also helps ensure water efficiency is as good as it should be by using between 0.81 to 1 gallon of water per flush. And by the use of electrolytes, it helps cleanse the bowl after each use.
With the help of the remote control, you can customize the settings of the smart toilet as you like. You can also adjust the temperature of the heated seat and use nightlight to locate the unit in the dark.
This smart toilet is designed in a way that can accommodate people of various sizes and ages without any issues.
As compared to most of the other smart toilets on this list, the Ove Decors Smart Toilet does not come with the best water consumption usage rating since it uses up to 1.6 gallons per flush and does not support partial flush. However, this smart toilet made out the list because of its other cool features and its design.
This toilet comes with energy savings settings that help make sure that the water is only heated once you sit on the toilet. It also ensures that both the temperature and pressure of the water are customizable. Customization can be done with a remote or simply using controls attached to the side of the system. It also features a manual flush button in case of any technical issues.
The WoodBridge T-0008 Luxury Elongated One Piece Toilet is a smart toilet with an incredible and modern design. It features a bordered trapway to help cover most of the plumbing connections. The toilet also comes with an inbuilt bidet with a soft closing lid.
This smart toilet features a customizable heated seat with five different temp settings so you can change the temperature to suit yourself. To ensure the cleanliness and durability of this toilet, it comes with a self-cleaning nozzle on the bidet wand. With the warm air dryer, you can dry yourself after the bidet cleaning has been done to ensure there is no more need for toilet papers.
The WoodBridge toilet also comes with an inbuilt blue LED night light for easy navigation of the unit when it is dark. And with the quick release feature on the seat, the toilet will be a bit easier to clean around the bowl.
This is another amazing smart toilet from the TOTO company that has earned a spot on our list of best smart toilets in the market right now. This toilet will ensure you have the best bathroom experience with the help of smart features.
The toilet features a bidet with front and back warm water cleansing mode, and you can also customize the pressure and temperature of the water however you like. It also boasts of the common heated seat feature as well as a motion-activation technology, which makes sure the lid is opening when you are approaching and closing when you are leaving. The warm air dryer and air deodorizer are also a good addition to fight bad odors.
Before each use, the toilet sprays some water to make sure that one flush will be enough to get rid of the waste.
Another great addition to the list by Kohler is the Kohler K-4026-0 Karing toilet. This smart toilet comes with a lot of easy to use features. It comes with an inbuilt bidet system and an advanced self-cleaning mechanism that helps cleans the bidet after use.
This model also supports customized settings for multiple users for the water temperature, heated seat, and warm air dryer. You can decide to mount the remote control or hold it in your hand. The remote control is an intuitive touchscreen.
The toilet is motion-activated, so when the toilet senses you moving towards it, the lid opens, and once it senses you moving away, it closes the lid. And it also features smart lighting so you can easily navigate the toilet in the dark. With the aid of a carbon filter, the toilet is able to prevent bad odors and keep its fresh scent.
The principle of operation of a smart toilet
It would seem that the toilet is the least compatible with the concept of “high technology” – an ordinary plumbing device designed solely to meet the physiological needs of a person. However, in recent years, smart toilet models equipped with artificial intelligence have appeared on the market of smart household appliances.
The first such models were developed in Japan at the end of the twentieth century. These were toilet bowls, on the outside they are a little different from the ordinary toilet. However, they had built-in electronics, allowing you to perform a number of actions: a bidet function, heated seats, “music” of the process, etc. Modern smart toilets are significantly different from each other in terms of a set of built-in functions. The basic configuration is:
- toilet bowl with flushing device and built-in bidet;
- control electronic block controller;
- all kinds of additional devices and sensors.
All nodes and equipment systems are controlled by an electronic unit. This happens either in automatic mode or directly by the user:
- In automatic mode, the control unit independently selects the desired action, based on data from built-in sensors. For example, focusing on a motion sensor or a touch sensor, it can lift the toilet lid when a person approaches, or lower it after a person leaves the toilet.
- Using a stationary control panel, push-button, or touch control, the user can give commands to the electronic unit, mounted on the toilet bowl, to perform any action (bidet, musical accompaniment). And also on many modern models of smart toilets, it is possible to use the remote control to configure various scenarios of their work.
- From an electronic gadget on modern versions of smart toilets, using Bluetooth connection, you can also set specific scenarios.
For example, choose music, adjust the pressure and temperature of the bidet, and you can also deodorize the air in the room. It does not require the installation of any intermediary hubs on a smartphone or tablet: Bluetooth is configured automatically.
Note: Some smart toilets in their basic version have not yet been equipped with software that allows them to be integrated into the common smart home control system. Therefore, to combine them with voice assistants such as “Alexa” or Siri, you will need to install the appropriate software compatible with it. It is best to contact a qualified programmer.
By their design, smart toilets are divided into:
- Suspended: they are attached to the wall with a support frame, which serves as a frame for the plumbing itself, and an electronic unit.
- Floor standing: the traditional way of installation, when the floor is used as a support for sanitary equipment.
- Elevator Design: allows you to adjust the seat height to the parameters of a particular person, making it higher or lower.
All surfaces of a smart toilet bowl are made of antibacterial material that prevents the growth of microorganisms. Electrical components are carefully insulated from flushing and sewage systems to prevent short circuits.
Types of electronic plumbing connected to the toilet
Electronic toilets are quite demanding on water quality; therefore, it is not recommended to connect them directly to the central water supply. Even if the tap water, at first glance, is clean, it contains fine mechanical suspension and chemical impurities. Getting inside high-tech sanitary equipment, they can lead to the formation of mineral deposits, the failure of rubber seals and other defects.
Given that the cost of smart toilets is quite expensive, their repair can cost a considerable amount. Therefore, between the smart toilet and the plumbing, a cleaning system is installed, consisting of primary and fine water filters.
The main difference between different models of smart toilets is the various additional features. A smart toilet with a bidet function includes the following basic functionality:
- Human presence sensor: It sends a signal to the electronic unit when a person appears next to the toilet, or when he/she is in direct contact with the seat. In response to this information, the electronics activates a number of functions embedded in the control script.
- Flush system: Water is supplied automatically, as soon as a special sensor gives a command about the need for waste disposal in the sewer.
- Bidet: Performs ablution using a special nozzle that delivers a stream of water under pressure. In the normal state, it is hidden under the rim of the toilet bowl and is advanced when the physiological process is completed. It is possible to adjust the pressure and temperature of the supplied water, as well as the length of the washer nozzle extension. This takes into account the gender, weight, and size of the user.
- Heating device: The water heater connected to the bidet, with the help of a thermostat, automatically heats the water for washing to the temperature set in the working scenario. Mini-boilers connected to smart toilets can be of flowing or cumulative effect.
- Control unit: The control unit, receiving data from the presence sensor, gives a command to the servos, which raise the lid when a person approaches, or lower it when he leaves the toilet room.
- Heated seats: For the convenience of using plumbing, the toilet seat is heated to the programmed temperature.
- Deodorizing the air: An infrared sensor that responds to the bowel movement provides information about this to the smart toilet, and at its command, an air freshener is sprayed to remove unpleasant odors.
In addition to those, which have already become basic for smart toilets, functions, modern manufacturers offer a number of additional premium features. These include:
- Flushing capacity: Water for flushing is supplied under a certain pressure in the form of a circulation jet, which allows better cleaning of the cavity of the toilet bowl from impurities. At the same time, half the water is spent which less than with a normal flush – 2.5-3 liters against 6 liters.
- Hydromassage: A similar feature was first introduced into the list of electronic toilet features by Japanese developers. It allows you to prevent the development of diseases of the pelvic organs, hemorrhoids, prostate gland.
- The inner surface of the toilet is equipped with ultraviolet light that kills pathogenic microorganisms.
- Musical accompaniment: Such toilet models are equipped with MP-3 players capable of playing audio files downloaded using Bluetooth.
- Medical diagnostic sensors: With the level of sugar in the urine of the user, they can monitor the dynamics of the health status of a person suffering from diabetes mellitus, or in time to establish the risk of developing this disease.
How to choose a smart toilet
There are several criteria for choosing a smart toilet:
- Cost: A large number of different models of smart toilets are available on the modern market, the cost of which starts from $800, and can reach up to $4000 for premium modifications. Therefore, you should initially decide how much money you are willing to pay for such a miracle of technology.
- A set of built-in functions: The wider the functionality available to the toilet, the more comfortable it will be to use it. But at the same time, the cost of equipment increases significantly (up to 70% of the price of which falls on electronic stuffing). When buying, it is recommended to soberly evaluate which functions are really useful, and which can be completely dispensed of.
- Management method: There are several options available for controlling a smart toilet: a stationary keypad, a Bluetooth connection, Wi-Fi through a voice assistant. When buying, ask your consultant which one is available for this toilet model.